Can I Modify a Child Support Agreement in California if I Lost My Job?

Do you pay child support in California? Did you recently lose your job? If so, you’re most likely wondering whether you can modify your support agreement so you can stay financially afloat. Please continue reading and reach out to a competent Los Angeles post-judgment modification attorney from our firm to learn more about whether you can modify your child support agreement in California and how we can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do courts in California decide on a child support agreement?

Courts consider a number of factors when deciding on a child support agreement, but like child custody determinations, the most important thing is your child’s best interests and the funds they need to have a stable life. That said, some of the most important factors courts will consider are as follows:

  • Each parent’s yearly income
  • The cost of raising the child
  • Whether the child has any special needs
  • Income taxes paid by each parent
  • The earning potential of the supported parent
  • The percentage of time each parent spends raising the child (this is calculated by the J Factor formula in California)
  • Additional expenses, as well as any other factor the court deems relevant

Can I change my child support agreement if I lost my job?

In the months or years after a divorce is finalized, life frequently changes, sometimes in significant ways. For example, if you are the supporting parent and you recently lost your job, you may find yourself unable to make regular child support payments, or at least not the amount you currently have to pay. This is a worrisome situation because though of course you want to give your child the financial means to live a stable life, you also need to provide for yourself. In this situation, as long as you can prove that you have undergone a significant and unforeseen change, you may be able to modify your child support agreement, even if just temporarily. For example, if your job simply cut a bunch of employees to help balance out their payroll and you did nothing to lose the job otherwise, you may qualify. On the other hand, if you quit your job because you were simply tired of working there or “didn’t like it anymore,” courts will most likely not see this as a valid reason to modify your child support agreement. If you believe you’ll qualify, simply pick up the phone and give our experienced Los Angeles child support attorneys a call today.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc