Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys in Los Angeles, CA
Few people extensively consider their assets when entering a marriage, however, it is often imperative that you think about what would happen to your estate, should you choose to end your marriage. In the State of California, that often means creating a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement. These documents can be complex, and yet they are often invaluable in the event of challenges in your marriage.
If you are ready to take your relationship to the next step but want to ensure your asset portfolio is protected from the unexpected, Zitser Family Law Group can help you draft a prenuptial agreement that will start your marriage off on the right foot. To discuss your situation further with a legal team you can trust, contact the Zitser Family Law Group, APC today, and schedule a consultation.
Types of Marital Agreements
At the Zitser Family Law Group, APC, our team of Certified Family Law Specialists in Los Angeles has decades of experience providing legal support for those that have assets to protect, or need representation to defend their interests. A marital agreement, whether it be prenuptial or postnuptial, is a formal contract that determines the distribution of assets, should your estate ever be divided. There are two types of agreements that can successfully defend your interests:
- Prenuptial Agreements: The prenuptial agreement, commonly referred to as a “Prenup,” is a contract created before the marriage that divides assets in the event of dissolution of the marriage, adultery, and other potential marital issues. Prenuptial agreements are common in California law and are generally recognized by the courts when written and executed correctly.
- Postnuptial Agreements: Though similar to prenups, the postnuptial agreement is entered into after marriage and comes with added complications. In the state of California, the courts may believe that a postnuptial agreement was signed under duress due to dependency. Representation by an expert family lawyer can ensure that these agreements are valid and enforceable.
Ensuring Your Prenuptial Agreement is Valid
The Uniform Premarital Agreement Act has governed prenuptial agreements in California since 1986. To ensure that a prenuptial agreement is valid, it must meet the following criteria:
- The agreement was signed upon valid consent, in which both parties must have the mental ability to consent
- The consent to sign must not be impacted by the result of fraud, undue influence, or a mistake
- The agreement must be drafted prior to the marriage and does not go into effect until the marriage is official
- The agreement may include language regarding the couple’s property and finances, but it may not include negative impacts to any children the couple may have
Contact a Los Angeles Marital Agreement Attorney
At the Zitser Family Law Group, APC, we will ensure you have an agreement that successfully defends your interests in accordance with Los Angeles and Orange County law. As a member of some of the leading Los Angeles and Orange County organizations, the Zitser Family Law Group, APC has long been a leading voice in serving our clients’ best interests. Our trained, experienced, legal team has successfully represented clients throughout Southern California, and we are happy to do the same for you. Whether you wish to protect your assets before marriage, or you are already married and are seeking additional protection, we are ready to help. Contact our firm today to discuss your situation.