Divorce Preparation Attorneys in Los Angeles, CA
Making the decision to get divorced is usually a complicated one, but it can be made much simpler when both parties are prepared. Before you file for divorce, you and your spouse should take the time to gather any important documents that can help move the process along more quickly and easily. When you are prepared for divorce, it is important that you have strong legal representation on your side. The legal team at Zitser Family Law Group, APC can help kickstart the divorce process and effectively represent your interests every step of the way. Contact our office today to discuss your case.
How can I prepare for a divorce?
Here is a list of important documents to gather when preparing for divorce:
- TAX RETURNS: Copies of all federal and state income tax returns for the last three tax years.
- INCOME SINCE LAST TAX RETURN: Your and spouse’s pay stubs, copies of Wage and Tax Statement, Form W-2, Form 1099 and/or 1099-INT, Form K-1s, and any and all other documents reflecting income received by you and your spouse for the last 12 months.
- BANK ACCOUNTS: Copies of bank statements and account statements for the last three years standing in your name and/or with your spouse.
- FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: Copies of financial statements or statements of net worth prepared by or for you, individually or jointly with your spouse.
- LOAN APPLICATIONS: Copies of loan applications and financial statements, which relate to any business or investment in which you or your spouse have any interest, plus all personal loan applications and personal financial statements of you and/or your spouse.
- PENSION, KEOGH, IRA, ETC…, PLANS: Plan summaries, annual beneficiary statements, periodic reports, relating to any retirement, pension, profit-sharing, stock option, or other employee benefit plan, in which you and/or your spouse have had any interest at any time during the period of your marriage.
- STOCK AND MUTUAL FUNDS: Copies of stock certificates, bonds, certificates of deposits, brokerage statements, and other documents evidencing investments or securities owned by you and your spouse.
- TRUST, ESTATES: Copies of trust agreements, fiduciary income tax returns, and periodic accountings relating to any trust in which you or your spouse have any interest.
- REAL PROPERTY OWNERSHIP: Copies of deeds, policies of title insurance, copies of promissory notes, copies of deeds of trust, mortgages or other liens, and other records pertaining to any real property (houses, buildings, land, and the like) owned by you and/or your spouse.
- OBLIGATIONS AGAINST REAL PROPERTY: Copies of statements of account, bills, annual statements, and other records pertaining to all debts and obligations secured by deed(s) of trust or mortgage(s) on real property owned by you and/or your spouse.
- SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES, VAULTS, AND SAFES: Copies of all signature cards, agreements, and other records pertaining to all safety deposit boxes, vaults and/or safes standing in your and/or your spouse’s name
- AUTOMOBILES AND VEHICLES: Copies of Certificate(s) of Ownership (pink slip), registration cards or slips, and any other records pertaining to each and every vehicle owned by your and/or your spouse.
- LIFE INSURANCE: Copies of all life insurance policies, certificates, and other records and evidence of life insurance insuring your and/or your spouse’s life.
- PARTNERSHIP TAX RETURNS: Copies of partnership tax returns (both state and federal) filed by any partnership, limited partnership, or joint venture, in which you and/or your spouse have any interest
- CORPORATE TAX RETURNS:
Copies of corporate income tax returns (both state and federal) filed by any corporation in which you and/or your spouse have any interest.
- BUSINESS FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: Copies of financial statements for any proprietorship, joint venture, partnership, closely-held corporation and/or other legal entity in which you or your spouse have any interest.
- BANK RECORDS OF BUSINESS: Copies of bank statements and other documents standing in the name of, any business in which you and/or your spouse have any interest.
- SOCIAL MEMBERSHIPS: Copies of contracts, monthly statements, and invoices relating to your membership or your spouse’s membership in any country club, beach club, or other social organizations.
- BILLS AND DEBTS: Copies of all bills, statements of account, and other records and documents evidencing your and your spouse’s present indebtedness.
- CREDIT CARDS AND CHARGE ACCOUNT RECORDS: Copies of monthly statements, billings, and invoices of any charge accounts with any credit card organizations, in your and/or your spouse’s name.
- COURT DOCUMENTS: Copies of pertinent court documents.
Contact an LA Divorce Attorney
If you are seriously considering divorce, now is the time to find strong legal representation that can effectively walk you through every step of the process. At Zitser Family Law Group, APC, we have the skill and experience necessary to help you find success in even the most complex divorce case. To discuss your situation with a legal team that has your best interests at the forefront, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.