When a couple who is over the age of 50 gets divorced, it is colloquially known as “gray divorce.” In recent years, gray divorce has become more and more common throughout the United States, and for a multitude of reasons. That said, if you are about to enter one, you most likely have a lot on your mind. To learn more about gray divorce and what to expect, continue reading and reach out to our experienced Los Angeles divorce attorney.
What are the most common gray divorce issues?
When spouses seek divorce after spending many years together, certain issues may arise. The following are the most common obstacles that spouses who are divorcing later in life may face:
- Negotiating alimony terms: This is one of the most important aspects of divorce, as often, it may be unreasonable or extremely challenging for someone to re-enter the workforce at an older age to support themselves after getting divorced. This is why it is so important financially dependent spouses in gray divorces receive the alimony payments they need to maintain their standard of living.
- Dividing marital property: Dividing marital property is frequently more complex in gray divorces, as often, assets, such as those held in bank accounts, are commingled when a couple has been together for years. This can make it more challenging to determine who is entitled to certain property.
Some of the other most common concerns when it comes to gray divorces are as follows:
- Figuring out whether a new life insurance policy is needed
- Establishing if inheritances can be divided
- Dividing pension plans or other retirement accounts
With so much on the line, it is paramount that you don’t proceed without competent legal representation on your side. If you and your former spouse can’t agree on the terms of your divorce, we can fight for you through every step of the litigation process. If you believe you can reach a compromise through mediation, we are also here to help. No matter your circumstances, you can rely on a Los Angeles gray divorce attorney here at our firm. Give us a call today.
Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm
Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.