What Happens if My Ex Refuses to Pay Alimony in California?

As you may know, alimony is among the most hotly-contested divorce-related issues. Alimony, or spousal support, is one of the best ways for former spouses to retain their standard of living even after a divorce. Courts will consider a wide array of factors when determining your spousal support agreement, including both spouse’s yearly incomes, both spouses age and health, both spouse’s earning potential, the standard of living established during the course of the marriage, and more. Unfortunately, there are times where former spouses will refuse to make the alimony payments to which their former spouse is owed, which can result in that individual facing significant financial turmoil as a result. This is unacceptable. If this has happened to you, please read on and contact our knowledgeable Los Angeles divorce attorneys today. We are ready to help.

What happens if my former spouse is refusing to pay alimony?

If your former spouse has neglected to make the regular alimony payments to which you are entitled, the first thing you should try to do, if possible, is simply speak with your ex to remedy the issue. In many cases, this is a far simpler solution than getting the courts involved. However, this is not always possible, and if you believe that you are unable to talk to your former spouse, or you already have to no avail, there is a very good chance that you are now looking to take your former spouse to court, as you require these payments to stay financially afloat. Our firm is here to help.

In many cases, when a former spouse does not make regular alimony payments, the court will order a wage garnishment. Essentially, this means that a percentage of your former spouse’s wages will be transferred directly to you through the court to fulfill your former spouse’s alimony obligations. In other cases, the court may levy your former spouse’s bank account and transfer his or her assets directly into your account to fulfill the spousal support agreement. They may also intercept your former spouse’s tax refunds. In the worst cases, a judge may hold your former spouse in contempt of court, which can result in jail time. That being said, if you are looking to take your spouse to court, you will have to retain the services of a knowledgeable California divorce attorney who can swiftly work towards your best interests in your time of need. If you have any additional questions, give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc