When we marry someone, it is typically considered a binding contract between two people. However, there are some circumstances where a marriage actually isn’t considered legitimate in the eyes of the law. If you suspect your marriage may fit this bill, there’s a strong chance you’ll qualify for an annulment. Read on and reach out to our competent Los Angeles annulments attorney to learn more about what makes annulments different from a divorce and how we can help you attain one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How are annulments different from divorce?
To understand what makes an annulment different from a divorce, it’s best to first define what an annulment is. Essentially, one may receive an annulment if they are in what is known as a “void marriage.” A void marriage is a marriage that was never legal, to begin with.
What are some grounds for a voidable marriage in California?
There are various scenarios and circumstances that may constitute an annulment, some of which are as follows:
- One person was incapacitated at the time of agreeing to marry the other spouse.
- One spouse is married to their father, sibling, or another family member. This is considered incest and is a valid reason to request an annulment.
- The marriage is a polygamous one.
- One spouse was married when they were below the age of consent upon entering the marriage.
- The consent to marry the spouse was only attained through fraud.
- One spouse was forced to marry the other spouse, such as by being blackmailed into marrying the person.
- One spouse had a living husband or wife that they had not officially divorced before marrying someone new.
If you believe any of the aforementioned scenarios apply to your situation, there is a very good chance you will qualify for an annulment. For further questions about annulments and how to obtain one, please don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and give our competent Los Angeles family law attorneys a call today. We are here to help you through each phase of the process and attain a result favorable to you.
Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm
Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.