Can I Modify My Alimony Structure if I Lost My Job?

When couples get divorced, they have a lot to consider, including child support, property division matters, and more. However, oftentimes, reaching an alimony agreement is the financially dependent spouse’s top priority, as, without alimony payments, there is a very good chance that they will no longer be able to retain their standard of living. This is unacceptable. That being said, oftentimes, in the weeks or months after a divorce, things change. For example, one spouse may lose their job, warranting a modification to their alimony structure. If you were the supporting spouse and you recently lost your job, there is a very good chance that you are now seeking a reduction in alimony payments. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced California divorce attorneys to learn more about how alimony is decided upon in California, whether a loss of a job may qualify in a modification, and how we can assist you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is an alimony structure decided upon in California?

California courts consider a number of factors when determining the structure of your alimony agreement. Primarily, they will consider which spouse is the financially dependent spouse in the marriage. They will also consider both spouses’ age and health, both spouses’ earning capacity, both spouses’ yearly salaries, and, if applicable, their child custody/support agreement.

Can I modify my alimony structure if I lost my job?

Losing a job is a difficult life event for everyone, and if you are the supporting spouse and you recently lost your job, you are most likely now worried about whether you will be able to uphold your standard of living yourself. For this reason, you may now seek a modification. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the loss of your job, you may be able to receive a modification. Some of the most common circumstances that may warrant alimony modifications include developing a serious mental condition, illness, or sustaining a serious injury that prevents you from returning to work. Additionally, if you lost your job and you can prove that you are actively looking for a new job with no such luck, you may receive a temporary modification to your support payments as well. The main qualifier is proving that there has been a significant and unforeseen change in circumstances that prohibits you from upholding the extent of your agreement at this time. Our California divorce attorneys are here to help prove your case.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc