Will the Court Allow Me to Relocate With My Child After a Divorce?

woman carrying packed boxes

There are few things more important to a parent than ensuring the well-being of their child. That said, in the months or years after your divorce, you may be looking to move away and start a new chapter of your life in a new home. That said, if you don’t have sole custody of your child after your divorce and your ex opposes the move, you likely will have to get permission from the courts to move out of state with your child. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Los Angeles relocation attorneys to learn more about these cases and how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I need permission from the court to move away with my child after a divorce?

To start, if you’re looking to move a relatively short distance away, you likely won’t need court permission to do so. Additionally, if you have sole physical and legal custody of your child, you likely won’t need court permission to move virtually anywhere with your child, even to another state. However, if you share custody of your child with your ex and he or she opposes the move, you will have to get permission from the court to move away.

What can I do to persuade the court to grant my move-away case?

Ultimately, there isn’t anything you yourself can do to persuade courts to grant your move-away case, but you can work to prove that the move would be in your child’s best interests. Just as with cases involving child custody, your child’s best interests will be at the center of your relocation case as well. If courts believe that moving out of state with your child would not work in their best interests, they likely will not grant the move. That said, courts will consider a wide range of factors when determining move-away cases, including the following:

  • Why you’re looking to move away
  • Why your ex opposes the move
  • Whether you’re moving to get your child a better education
  • Whether you’re moving for a higher-paying job so you can better provide for your child
  • Whether you’re moving to bring your child closer to their relatives
  • Whether the move would overall benefit the child financially, socially, or educationally

Our legal team has extensive experience handling move-away cases, and if you need a law firm that can protect you and your family, you’re in the right place. Reach out to us so we can help.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need through any family law or divorce matter, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc