Will I Have to Pay Child Support if My Ex Remarries in California?

mother and child

There are few things more important to a parent than their child. If you pay child support, you likely don’t particularly mind, as your child needs financial resources to grow and thrive. That said, if your ex remarries and that individual has a job, you may wonder whether you’ll still have to make regular child support payments. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Los Angeles child support attorneys to learn more about whether you’ll have to continue paying child support, even if your ex remarries. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Does California law require me to continue making child support payments even if my ex remarries?

If your ex recently remarried, it is understandable to wonder whether you will have to continue paying child support, especially if the person she married has a well-paying job. That said, the view that the state of California takes on these matters is that if the child is yours, you are required to support it, either by raising it or by contributing financially. Therefore, even if your ex remarries, you will likely still have to make your regular child support payments on time.

When am I allowed to finally stop making child support payments in California?

You should note, however, that you won’t be required to pay child support forever (most likely). Typically, when a child reaches the age of emancipation and is not planning on attending higher education, the parent paying child support no longer is obligated to do so. However, you should also understand that there are some scenarios that may warrant a continuation of child support payments even past the age of emancipation. One common example of this is if the child has special needs and will require continuing care throughout his or her life.

However, there are even some scenarios wherein a parent may request to end child support early, such as if the child gets married or joins the military. If you would like to learn more about how child support works here in the state of California, or if you believe you may qualify for a child support modification, please don’t hesitate to contact the Zitser Family Law Group, APC for help today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc