What’s a Post-Judgment Modification & Can I Get One in CA?

a family law document

Divorce is a complicated process, and often, it takes a lot of work on the part of each spouse and their attorneys to finally resolve any divorce-related disputes. That said, just because you have a divorce decree doesn’t mean that you or your ex’s life won’t change significantly in the months or years following your divorce. In fact, there’s a strong chance that life will absolutely change in that time. For this reason, courts will sometimes allow ex-spouses to seek a post-judgment modification to their initial divorce decree, as long as they can prove that they have undergone and significant, unforeseen, and lasting change. Please continue reading and reach out to a knowledgeable Los Angeles post-judgment modifications attorney to learn more about these modifications and how our legal team may be able to help you get one.

What circumstances may qualify for a post-judgment modification?

There are several scenarios that may warrant a post-judgment modification. For example, in some cases, a parent will seek to modify their child custody agreement. Let’s say your ex was initially granted custody of your child, but you believe they have a substance abuse issue or otherwise pose a significant danger to your child. Since custody agreements are reached on the premise that the best interests of your child are the most important thing, if you can prove their other parent is jeopardizing their safety, you may request a modification to your custody agreement.

For another example, let’s say you currently pay alimony, but you believe your ex no longer requires alimony to support themselves. You may request a modification to, or termination of an alimony agreement if you can prove the following:

  • Your ex has remarried
  • Your ex has attained a higher-paying job
  • Your ex has received a large inheritance
  • You lost your job due to no fault of your own and cannot afford the current alimony structure
  • You’ve developed a serious medical condition and, as a result, cannot afford the current alimony structure

Even child support, in certain cases, may be reduced or terminated. For example, if a child reaches the age of emancipation, child support should end. If your child is financially independent or has joined the military, you may also request termination of child support. On the flip side, if your child has special needs and requires child support past the age of emancipation, you may request an extension on child support payments.

These are just some scenarios that may warrant modifications to divorce/family law agreements, and ultimately, if you believe your situation may qualify, our firm is here to help. Speak with a seasoned Los Angeles divorce attorney from our firm today.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need through any family law or divorce matter, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc