What You Should Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in California

divorce mediation

If you are someone who got divorced months or years ago, your current situation in life may no longer be compatible with your divorce agreement. Please continue reading and speak with our Los Angeles divorce attorneys to learn more about post-judgment modifications and how our firm can help you receive one.

Common Types of Post-Judgment Modifications

There are several divorce terms that are commonly modified, however, some are more common than others. The most frequently-modified divorce terms involve the following:

  • Alimony: Alimony, also known as spousal support, is frequently modified in the months or years after a divorce. This can be for many reasons. For example, if one spouse gets a promotion, they may no longer require alimony. Also, if a spouse remarries or is cohabitating with another person, the supporting spouse may request a post-judgment modification to or termination of alimony, on the grounds that the financially dependent spouse no longer requires alimony.
  • Child Custody: Child custody is another frequently modified divorce term. Child custody may be modified for a wide variety of reasons, such as if the child or either parent has a significant change in schedule, if one parent wants to move away with the child, or if one parent believes the other is parentally unfit. For example, if one parent can prove that the other has a substance abuse issue or that he or she exposed their child to an incident of domestic violence, it may warrant a modification to the custody agreement.
  • Child Support: If a child wants to go to college or has special needs, it may warrant an extension on child support. Conversely, if a child gets married, joins the military, or otherwise emancipates him or herself before the standard age of emancipation, it may warrant early termination of child support.

How do I know if I can receive a post-judgment modification in California?

To receive a post-judgment modification, you and your attorney will have to prove that there has been a significant, unforeseen, and ongoing change in circumstances. Depending on the nature of your request for a post-judgment modification, our firm can help you gather and present sufficient evidence to prove that a post-judgment modification is truly warranted. This evidence can include school records, police reports, pictures, bills/expenses, medical documents, and more. We are here to preserve your best interests, and we will be through each step of the process ahead. All you need to do is pick up the phone and give us a call.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc