What You Should Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in CA

In the months and years after a divorce, people’s lives change, which is why oftentimes, they will request modifications to their initial divorce agreements to better accommodate their current situations in life. Please continue reading and speak with our California divorce attorneys to learn more about post-judgment modifications and how we can help you receive one.

What situations may warrant post-judgment modifications?

As you can imagine, there are a wide array of potential situations that may warrant a post-judgment modification, however, as long as you can prove that there has been a significant, unforeseen, and lasting change in circumstances, there is a very good chance that you will receive a post-judgment modification. Some of the most common divorce terms that may be modified are as follows:

  • Alimony: If you or your former spouse either receive an increase or decrease in pay, got new jobs, or came into a significant amount of money, there is a very good chance that you will qualify for a post-judgment modification to alter the amount of spousal support one spouse receives/the other has to pay. Additionally, remarriage and cohabitation should also warrant a modification to alimony terms previously established.
  • Child Support: If your child has reached emancipation age, you may request the termination of your child support agreement. Additionally, if a child is marrying, joining the military, or is otherwise capable of financially supporting him or herself, you may request a modification to your support agreement. On the other hand, if your child has special needs or plans on attending university/higher education, you may request an extension on your child support payments past the standard age of emancipation in California.
  • Child Custody: There are various circumstances that may warrant a modification to a child custody agreement. For example, if one spouse plans on moving out-of-state, he or she will require permission, either from the court or from his or her former spouse, to do so. Additionally, if one parent poses a risk to a child, such as by committing an act of domestic violence or having a substance abuse problem, or otherwise proves that he or she is parentally unfit, you may request a modification to your child custody agreement.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to speak with our firm today. We are here to help in any way we can.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc