What You Need to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in California

As you know, in the weeks and months following a divorce, life changes, and if you are someone whose divorce agreement no longer reflects your current situation in life, you are most likely seeking a post-judgment modification. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable California divorce attorneys to learn more about post-judgment modifications, what receiving one may mean for you, and how our firm can help you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I can receive a post-judgment modification in California?

Individuals in California who are looking to receive post-judgment modifications will have to prove to the courts that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances that renders their initial divorce agreement impractical or otherwise obsolete. As long as you can prove that the circumstances have changed and a new agreement would better reflect your current situation, there is a very good chance that you will be awarded a post-judgment modification. That being said, to obtain a modification, you will have to hire an experienced California divorce attorney who can work to obtain and present all the evidence needed to prove your case. Our firm is here to help.

What terms of my initial divorce agreement can be modified?

You can modify various terms of your initial divorce agreement. A significant change in circumstances can warrant a modification to an alimony or child support agreement. For example, if your former spouse is employed at a new, higher-paying job or received a promotion, you may have grounds to request a more substantial alimony agreement. On the other hand, if your spouse was recently demoted or lost his or her job, he or she may have grounds to request at least a temporary decrease in alimony payments. A parent or his or her child developing a serious medical condition and requiring financial assistance is another valid reason to request a modification to alimony/child support. In other cases, the financially dependent parent may request an extension on child support payments past the legal age of termination if, for example, the child has special needs or plans on attending higher education/university. The bottom line is that if you require a modification, you should speak with our experienced California divorce attorneys today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced Los Angeles firm

Divorce and family law issues are notoriously complicated and personal, which is why you must hire an attorney with years of experience, as well as the compassion and skill needed to handle these sensitive matters. For the qualified, dedicated legal representation you and your family deserve and need, contact Zitser Family Law Group, APC today.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc