What Are the Most Common Reasons for Post-Judgment Modifications?

judge on phone looking at papers

When you and your spouse divorce, the circumstances of your divorce decree will be determined based on your situation at the time of your separation. As such, you may find that as your life goes on, your needs and circumstances will change. As such, the terms and conditions included in your divorce decree may no longer apply to your life. However, you may be able to petition the court for post-judgment modifications. If you’re unfamiliar with what these are or why you may need them, you’ll want to keep reading. The following blog explores the common reasons for post-judgment modifications in further detail. Additionally, you’ll learn why it’s in your best interest to connect with a Los Angeles post judgment modifications attorney to explore your legal options.

What Are Post-Judgment Modifications?

A post-judgment modification is a request a party can make to change the terms and conditions of their divorce. These are done after the final judgment is made and your divorce agreement is signed. This can be done by filing a motion with the judge who signed the initial divorce decree and orders.

Why Are Common Reasons for Post-Judgment Modifications?

There are a number of reasons that people request modifications to the custody, child support, or spousal support term in their agreement.

One of the most common modifications requested following a divorce is to change the terms of alimony due to job loss. If the paying party is laid off, demoted, or suffers health conditions that impact their ability to make payments, they may file a motion to modify the alimony they are responsible for. This could be a reduction in the amount, halting payments until the spouse receives a new job, or terminating their obligation altogether.

Additionally, if the recipient spouse gets married or begins living with a partner, the paying spouse may be able to submit evidence to the court of this, thus having their obligation terminated. This is because when a recipient spouse remarries or cohabitates with a new partner, the paying spouse no longer has an obligation to financially support them.

Finally, you may need to make changes to your child custody arrangement if you plan on moving or starting a new job that impedes your parenting time.

What Should I Do if I Need Help With This Process?

Unfortunately, post-judgment modifications can be complex. It’s critical to understand that you cannot stop paying alimony, for example, if you lose your job or your spouse gets married. You must petition the courts first. If you violate the terms and conditions of your divorce before a post-judgment modification is granted, you can be held to the consequences detailed in your decree.

At the Zitser Family Law Group, we understand how complex these matters can be. Petitioning the court to modify a legally binding agreement can seem like an impossible task. However, it can be done with the help of an experienced family law attorney. At the Zitser Family Law Group, our dedicated legal team understands how complex these matters can be, which is why we are ready to help. Connect with our firm today to learn more about these matters.

Our Recent Blogs

View More

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc